Working Holiday Visa

This is an awesome opportunity to work in Australia as an independent backpacker and traveller. As of January 1st 2017 you have to not older than 35 years old to apply for the Working Holiday Visa (previously 30).

Great to see an increase in the age limit. So if you are 35 or younger; do it now while you have the chance.

So, the visa you will need to apply for is the Working Holiday Visa subclass 417. This will allow you to work here for around 1 year.

It’s a temporary visa designed to promote cultural changes between Australia and other supported countries.

Another bit of good news is from January 1st 2017 the fee for the visa will be reduced by $50 from $440AUD to just $390. Great news and travellers win on that front. Every dollar is another dollar you can spend travelling.

If you are coming from the US, you will have to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462), and some conditions will apply here. You can find more at

If you are doing your first Working Holiday Visa, then you need to be outside Australia when you apply for the visa; the same goes for when the visa results come in.

In case it’s the second time you apply, you can do so in or outside Australia. I talk about this and more in my eBook.

Previously, Working Holiday Visa grants you permission to work up to 6 months with a single employer.

However as some more good news here is again from January 1st 2017 a working holiday visa holder may work for the same employer for 12 months, provided the second 6 months is worked at a different premises, in a different region.

To apply for the Working Holiday Visa, you must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Eligible countries are:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.
  • USA (Please note that US visitors are required to apply for a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) – similar conditions applied)

G'Day! Learn everything you MUST KNOW before you travel Australia by getting my eBook!

My eBook has everything you MUST  know as an Independent Traveller to plan your Backpacking trip to Australia. Get a GREAT DEAL TODAY and enjoy loads of great preparation hints, tips and information to get yourself well on your way to Australia!

Getting the Working Holiday Visa is easy if you:

  • Haven’t had a previous Work and Holiday Visa
  • If you have a valid passport integrated with the Working Holiday Program
  • You are between 18 and no older than 35 years of age
  • If you are a visitor that wants to spend your holiday in Australia
  • If you have the necessary money to support yourself, which is around AUD 5000
  • Have enough money to get a ticket back
  • Aren’t accompanied by kids.

Getting the Second Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa (subclass 417) will require you to:

  • Comply with the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa regulations
  • Don’t hold more than one Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa
  • You already completed 3 months of regional work under the previous visa
  • Be no older than 35 years of age (After the 1st of January 2017)

In case you are in Australia and want to stay here, you need to apply for the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa (subclass 417) before you turn 36 or you will not get the opportunity to apply for it. So like I said earlier; do it now why you have a chance.

In order to apply for the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa application you will have to share the documents that prove your claims, and you will need the necessary documents, which can be found in the document checklist. Keep in mind that getting some of these documents will require a little bit of time. You do need to have them prepared when you send the application, otherwise this will result in delays.

You can apply for the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa online. The only requirement is that you don’t have any dependent children.

For the first visa, you will need to apply for a Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa outside of Australia. For the second visa, you can apply for a Working Holiday (Temporary) visa while you are in Australia, provided you have done you 88 days farm work.

Keep in mind that you need to have all the necessary documents, and you also need to pay the application fee upon application. You will also need to share a mail address in order to get better communication. More information and help can be found at

Hey! Don't miss out on finding out for FREE how to get a Flight to Australia for as little as $200 from anywhere in the world!

It's in the FREE Australia Independent Traveller Action Plan!

It includes:

  • The Essential Packing List
  • A Tip to get flights to Australia for as little as $200 from Anywhere in the World
  • A Tip for who to Bank with in Australia that will save you a Ton!
  • Much More

Don’t miss out on all the free goodies!