Come to Australia with a Working Holiday Visa

With new changes to the Working Holiday Visa recently announced I thought now would be a good time to do an updated how to guide for getting a Working Holiday Visa for Australia.

It is a process that can seem seem intimidating at first but by following these hints and tips you will be well on your way to Australia.

Firstly those changes that take affect from January 1st 2017…

  • The rate of 19% 15% for every dollar will be introduced . The normal tax rate will apply for those who earn above $37,000AUD. There have been more changes to the Australian Backpacker Tax so read my updates article for backpacker tax in Australia here.
  • A working holiday visa holder may work for the same employer for 12 months, provided the second 6 months is worked at a different premises, in a different region.
  • The fee for the application for the Working Holiday Visa has dropped from $440 AUD to $390.
  • The age limit for a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia will increase from 30 to 35 years old

So all and all it is super news for Travellers and backpackers coming to Australia looking at coming to Australia to work using the Working Holiday Visa.

swan-river-myaustraliatrip3How to apply

First of all to be able to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, you must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Eligible countries are:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.
  • USA (Please note that US visitors are required to apply for a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) – similar conditions applied)

Other conditions you need:

  • Haven’t had a previous Work and Holiday Visa for Australia
  • If you have a valid passport integrated with the Working Holiday Program
  • You are between 18 and no older than 35 years of age
  • If you are a visitor that wants to spend your holiday in Australia
  • If you have the necessary money to support yourself, which is around AUD 5000
  • Have enough money to get a ticket back
  • Aren’t accompanied by kids

In order to apply for the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa application you will have to share the documents that prove your claims, and you will need the necessary documents, which can be found in the document checklist. Keep in mind that getting some of these documents will require a little bit of time.

You do need to have them prepared when you send the application, otherwise this will result in delays.

You can apply for the Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa online. Super easy!

You will also need to apply for a Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa outside of Australia. You can’t do it after you arrive!

Keep in mind that you need to have all the necessary documents, and you also need to pay the application fee upon application. You will also need to share a mail address in order to get better communication. To apply go here


Remember, if you are looking at coming to Australia for work I have partnered with Jobs 4 Travellers to give you guys a special offer to get you into employment as soon as possible and to get some great assistance to get you settled.

Use MYAUSTRIP1  for a 10% discount on standard membership – so it is reduced to $31.50 and you will get 12 months job assistance and loads of other goodies.
Or use MYAUSTRIP2 – and you get a 10% discount on the “Ozzie Starter Pack” which includes standard membership plus TFN and bank account set up – so it is reduced to just $50. A bargain! Remember this is exclusive to readers of myAustraliaTrip.
Anything I have missed? Let me know in the comments. And if you are coming to Australia let me know what you are most excited about and when you are coming!

how-to-get-the-whv working holiday visa


Leave a Reply